Who We Are
Power to Decide, the campaign to prevent unplanned pregnancy, works to ensure that all young people—no matter who they are, where they live, or what their economic status might be—have the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child. We do this by increasing information, access, and opportunity.
Power to Decide works toward three goals:
Reduce teen pregnancy rates by 50 percent by 2026.
Reduce unplanned pregnancy rates among women age 18–29 by 25 percent by 2026.
Reduce racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in teen and unplanned pregnancy rates by 50 percent by 2026.
Our approach focuses on five key strategies we believe are critical in reducing unplanned pregnancy among teens and young women:
- Building a system of support that enables young people to act consistently with their decisions about it, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child.
- All young people will have active connections with a trusted champions, mentors, or allies with whom they can discuss sex, relationships, and their futures.
- Ensuring that everybody has reliable, resonant, and accurate information about sexual health, including the full spectrum of reproductive health services.
- Ensuring that everybody has access to the full range of contraceptive methods within 60 minutes of where they live.
- Making reproductive life planning standard practice in settings influential in the lives of young people.
In order to succeed in this approach, we provide trusted, high-quality, accurate information—backed by research—on sexual health and contraceptive methods so young people can make informed decisions. Our strategies—and their corresponding activities—are designed to address the complex factors that lead to unplanned pregnancy through policy, research, capacity building, convening, and strategic communications.
By building the power to decide, our work creates opportunities for young people to get informed, take control, and advocate for themselves—and to protect the amazing life opportunities that lie ahead.