Starting the Conversation: #TalkingIsPower 2019
A national effort to spark meaningful conversations between young people and the champions who care about them most, Talking Is Power month is approaching. Whether you’re a parent, guardian, educator, provider, or mentor to a young person, join the #TalkingIsPower movement.
Throughout the month of May, we will provide tools and resources to help ensure that all young people have the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child. When you talk your young people listen. Let us help you to be the hero they need with two, easy steps.
Use the Twitter hashtag #TalkingIsPower to see what others are saying and add your thoughts to the mix. Follow the Power to Decide and Bedsider accounts for more tips on talking to your young people about sex, love, and relationships.
You can also share one (or all) of these messages on your social accounts throughout the month of May to encourage your followers to get on board.
- DYK: Young people actually prefer hearing about taboo topics like sex, love, and relationships from the adults they trust most? Learn more at https://bit.ly/2jwag8j #TalkingIsPower
- Teen pregnancy is 100% preventable—especially when trusted adults and champions jumpstart meaningful conversations early on and often! Learn more here: https://bit.ly/2jwag8j #TalkingIsPower
- Parents, trusted adults, mentors, champions: it’s never too late to start talking about sex, love, and relationships. our young people are listening—start talking today! More here: https://bit.ly/2jwag8j #TalkingIsPower
Whatever you do, talk to a young person! We’re counting on young adults, champions, and everyone in between to start talking. Conversations about sex, love, relationships, and future goals are key to preparing young people for the futures they envision for themselves.
To help you get started we’ve created a variety of content:
- If you’re nervous or unsure about how to start talking with your young person, we’ve written a number of conversation prompts you can use to kick things off.
- If your young person watches a lot of YouTube videos, try checking out our Talking is Power playlist together.
- Or read blogs from different perspectives to broaden your own horizons before diving into a conversation with your young person.
Whether or not you believe it, you’re a very important influence on your young person’s life. So, start early and talk often. You’re more powerful than you think.