"Not right now"
“Not right now” is another way of saying “no vaginal sex.” It’s a great method as far as effectiveness is concerned—but only if used 100% of the time can it be guaranteed to work. And if someone is avoiding sexual activity altogether, they'll be safe from STIs too. But it does involve a whole lot of self-control.
It takes discipline
Saying “not right now” only works as a birth control method if it's used consistently, so it takes a lot of self-control.
Good communication skills
For those dating or in a relationship, they’ll need to be able to tell their partner what’s okay and what’s not. Which means they need to be comfortable with speaking their mind.
You’ve got support
Also, for those in a relationship, both partners have got to be down with the plan.
Waiting requires patience, but it doesn’t cost a thing.
How to Use It
Don't have vaginal sex.
It sounds simple, but that's pretty much what it comes down to: a conscious, deliberate decision to not have vaginal sex. It's a choice some people will need to affirm each and every day. To stick with it, keep reminding yourself why you choose to not have vaginal sex, and think about the potential consequences of changing your decision. And if you decide to start having sex, that’s totally cool, too. Just make sure you’re protected with another form of birth control.
Other helpful hints:
- Avoid putting yourself in situations where it'll be hard to stick to your decision.
- Think about avoiding alcohol and drugs as well—they can mess with your judgment.
- Find people you can talk to about your decision and lean on their support.
- Talk about your decision with your partner well before you're in the heat of the moment.
- Be totally straightforward and clear with him about your limits.
- Explore other sexual options you might enjoy just as much.
Every method has its own positives and negatives, and because everyone's birth control is different what one person experiences may not be the same as another's experiences.
- Doesn't cost a thing.
- Never causes side effects.
- Can be difficult to maintain.