Do you focus on equity?
Our work will not be complete until every young person in every community across the country—no matter who they are, where they live, or how much they earn—has the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child.
We stand for equity. To us this means the promise that everyone gets exactly the information and access to care they need to achieve healthy outcomes—no matter their ultimate decision. They get it on their terms, from someone who understands and respects them.
What trainings and services does Power to Decide offer?
One Key Question®. A transformative online tool that starts the conversation about if, when, and under what circumstances people want to get pregnant and have a child, the notion behind One Key Question is simple: it provides a framework for health providers, social service providers, and champions who support folks age 18-50 to routinely ask, “Would you like to become pregnant in the next year?”
Human-centered design. Power to Decide catalyzes innovation in reproductive and sexual health by using HCD, also known as design thinking, to find creative solutions to challenges and pain points in the field. We are passionate about sharing the benefits of HCD with others. There are many ways that we can support you and your organization to use HCD to develop innovative solutions to the challenges you’ve identified in the sexual and reproductive health field.
Licensed content. Power to Decide has been recognized with dozens of prestigious awards for digital innovation. We can help customize a digital solution for your audiences. We can help with:
- Original content or curate and customize the hundreds of pages of unbiased and constantly updated content about methods of birth control, first person stories and videos, FAQs, animated cartoons, extended features, and news segments (available in English and Spanish)—already in our library and all of which can be white labeled.
- Database and tools development that meet your practice needs—such as access to the nation’s most comprehensive listing of health centers, digital sexual health questionnaires and decision tools, localized service provider finders, and other interactive tools.
- Mobile apps or other systems. We can build and customize tools—or work with you to adapt our existing tools for birth control push reminders and appointment reminders.
Campus sexual health. Unplanned pregnancies can make it hard to achieve educational goals. We help college campuses establish a system of support for all of their students’ health and pregnancy planning needs.
How do I order Power to Decide resources?
We offer a variety of materials, including postcards, posters, pamphlets, manuals, and DVDs for use in your program or clinic; tshirts, hats and other popular items; research reports; and other items.
- Visit our online store: purchases are 100% secure and your order is received instantly—this is the fastest way to complete your transaction.
For orders not placed via our online store, Power to Decide accepts purchase orders via email, fax, or mail. Please be sure all purchase orders include shipping and billing address (with “attention” name for both), items for purchase and quantity per item, shipping type (ground, two-day, or next-day), as well as tax-exempt ID if applicable.
- By email: Send purchase orders to firstname.lastname@example.org, Purchase Order in the subject line.
- By fax: Send Purchase Orders to 202-478-8588, attention Fulfillment.
Please note: Power to Decide does not accept orders by phone. If you have questions about an order, please contact our Coordinator, Office & Fulfillment.
What can I do to help ensure that others have the power to decide?
Thank you for asking! We can’t do our work without your help.
- Donate: Please consider making a financial contribution to Power to Decide. To make a gift and find out how your financial contribution helps, visit our Donation page.
- Join: Looking for tips and information? The latest facts and stats? Research on what works? Sign up for Power to Decide’s email updates.
- Get Involved: Ready to demand that every young person has the power to decide? Proud to give a shout out to the opportunities birth control has opened in your life? Power to Decide has ways for everyone to get involved—from young people to parents and supportive adults to champions and advocates to policymakers and influencers. Learn more on our Get Involved page.
What is your position on abortion?
Power to Decide believes that when people have the power to decide if, when, and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child, they have more opportunity to achieve the futures they want.
That is why we created AbortionFinder to connect people across the country with the health care they need and deserve. With more than 700 health centers, AbortionFinder.org features the most comprehensive directory of trusted (and verified) abortion service providers in the United States.
How do I cite information provided by Power to Decide?
Most of our fact sheets do not have a specific author. For these documents, use our organization name as the author. For example, for the publication Everyone Loves Birth Control:
Power to Decide. (2021). Everyone Loves Birth Control. [Online]. Available: https://powertodecide.org/what-we-do/information/resource-library/everyone-loves-birth-control. Washington: Author.
If a document is undated, you can assume it was written (or updated) in the current year. For the proper citation in a specific style such as APA or MLA, please consult a style manual or textbook.
We also welcome you to link to our materials with appropriate attribution.
Does Power to Decide have an annual conference?
We do not have an annual conference. However, over the course of any given year, we host a variety of events and webinars for a variety of audiences: conferences; roundtable discussions; workshops; national teleconferences; seminars in Washington, DC, where we are headquartered; or online events.
The best way to stay informed about upcoming events is to sign up for the Power to Decide email newsletter.