ON THANKS, BIRTH CONTROL DAY, NEW POLL SHOWS CONCERNS OVER CONTINUED ACCESS AND AFFORDABILITY
(Washington, D.C.) — A new national poll released by Power to Decide shows that 51% of respondents (including 59% of birth control users age 18-34) are concerned over the ability of the public to afford or access their preferred method of contraception considering the most recent change in the Supreme Court. In addition, looking at all respondents (age 18 and older) Democrats were significantly (69%) more likely to be concerned than Independents (49%) or Republicans (36%) about the shift in the Supreme Court. This and other survey findings were released today from Power to Decide in honor of its eighth annual Thanks, Birth Control Day.
“We must be cognizant of how recent changes in the Supreme Court might impact people’s ability to access reproductive health care,” said Gillian Sealy, Interim CEO, Power to Decide. “That’s why on this Thanks, Birth Control day we need to celebrate everything that birth control makes possible and we must continue to work to ensure that all have access to the full range of contraception no matter who they are, where they live or what their economic status is.”
The vast majority of respondents age 18 to 34 (94%), compared to 72% in 2019, said they are thankful that birth control allows them or their partner to decide if, when and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child. Further, 84% appreciate birth control, compared to 57% in 2019, for the ability to work toward educational or professional goals, and 74%, compared to 57 % in 2019, are thankful that birth control allows them to manage health conditions.
“This year, there is no denying that appreciation for birth control has increased noticeably,” Sealy stated. “Our work in reproductive health tells us that in recent years birth control has become less accessible. We believe the pandemic and shift of the Supreme Court help to explain the increase in people’s concerns over their ability to access the health care they need to stay healthy and live their best life. And that’s why today is a special day for all of us to recognize how access to birth control can help ensure that everyone has the power to decide if, when and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child.”
Power to Decide’s Thanks, Birth Control survey results are being released in conjunction with the eighth annual Thanks, Birth Control Day, taking place today, Wednesday, Nov. 18. Birth control is cited as one of the 10 greatest public health achievements of the 20th century (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), because of its profoundly positive impact on women, families and society.
When more people talk openly about why they use—and are grateful for—birth control, everybody wins. Here are five quick and easy ways to say, “Thanks, Birth Control” with us today:
- Rock our new masks and snap a selfie or take a Boomerang, and post on Instagram sharing why you’re thankful for birth control with #ThxBirthControl.
- Share your story about the benefits of birth control, why you love birth control, how birth control allows people to live their best worry-free sex life for Thanks, Birth Control Day.
- It’s time to dominate the conversation online with messages about birth control. Today, from 2-3pm ET join our Twitter Storm using #ThxBirthControl.
- How you can participate:
- Show your love for accessible, affordable, and amazing contraception. Share what birth control gives you the power to decide and how birth control allows people to live their best worry-free sex life.
- Share our graphics or use our stickers on your social channels by typing “Birth Control” or “Bedsider" through GIPHY.
- How you can participate:
- Spread the word on social. You can browse through our toolkit to see pre-written social copy or write your own with the hashtag #ThxBirthControl.
- Check out our Thanks, Birth Control swag on our store and rock it year-round, as we celebrate birth control all-day, everyday! Don’t forget to snap a selfie and post using the hashtag #ThxBirthControl.
Our work would not be possible without generous support from our partners. Power to Decide would like to thank the following for their support and commitment to women’s reproductive health. Thank you for helping us say, Thanks, Birth Control: PRJKT Ruby, TherapeuticsMD, Agile Therapeutics, TwentyEightHealth, HeyDoctor, Foundation Consumer Healthcare, Nurx and the JPB Foundation.
Power to Decide is a private, non-partisan, non-profit organization that works to ensure all people—no matter who they are, where they live or what their economic status might be—have the power to decide if, when and under what circumstances to get pregnant and have a child. Please visit us at www.PowerToDecide.org or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
About the Survey: The telephone survey was conducted for Power to Decide by SSRS, an independent research company. A total of 1,004 interviews were conducted between September 29, 2020 and October 4, 2020, among the general population (age 18 and older). The margin of error for total respondents is +/-3.58% at the 95% confidence level.